Friday, March 23, 2018

Culture shock part 3 - Transfer to Cologne

Hey yall so I got transfered to Cologne, aka a freaking huge city of a million people and I have no idea where to go or where to start. I guess I can start with my first day.
The moment I got off my train with my suitcases and such I watched a hobo get in a fist fight with the train ticket checker people. That was intense. And then I went to buy food at the KFC here and this chick was waiting for her food and was a pain to the lady working there. Then she screamed and yelled, picked up her sandwich and threw it in the trash and ran away. This old German guy though made me laugh so hard. He flipped out with his hands over his head and just started screaming and ran up to me and pointed at her as to what the heck just happened. I didn't know either. Elder Koch if you are reading this he sounds just like you when you scream.... Haha! 
Oh yeah and the train station was also on strike so we couldn't take the trains and such. It was a great first day. 
I will always miss saarbrücken. Lots of good memories were had there and the members were way hard to say goodbye to. I loved them so much. Great people and I will always remember what they did for me and taught me. 
For example with the investigators there as well. Gulmeral, or in other words the lady we taught English to saw me going to the train station with my luggage and she flipped out and said it wasn't fair that I had to go and that as I was a "volunteer" I didn't have to listen to the president because that is not what volunteer work is. Haha sorry about that, but then she gave me an ackward hug and I had no idea what to do. White handbook would have roasted me on the spot. I felt the book burning through my soul. 
Now for Cologne. Our apartment is massive! Well okay but we live on the 15th floor on a huge building so we have a sweet view of the entire city of Cologne and my new companion is Elder Stark. He has four weeks left so I will be sending him home pretty soon so I am doing all that I can do know how this city works and how to even balance my time. We have no time to contact as we are constantly on our way to appointments at the church for activities with the members and such. Lots of young people here to in the church that are awesome! So much food! It's a miracle! Elder Stark loves cooking and he cooks fast and huge Mounds of food. It's heaven on earth. Apartment is sparkling in cleanliness and life is good. (And this guys personality is legendary. He is hilarious. It's gonna be sad that I only have four weeks with him.) 
We have massive groceries stores right next to us like a place called Real (walmart) and barber and restaurants at our apartment complex. This is so much fun and easier here. Like I feel guilty not contacting for multiple hours a day, because that was all that we did in Saarbrücken. Here I just do a lot of contacting on trains and honestly said, I need it. My contacting on trains is trash! Haha the guy gave me his number and such but I felt so ackward and I know he did as well. I have lots to learn here.
On a higher note the members adore us here. First couple of people I met were way open and just cooked us food. It's nice! 
I don't even know what to say right now other that I am happy, excited and totally lost. This place reminds me so much of Duisburg. In fact they are right next to each other. The church looks exactly like the one in Duisburg and I got hardcore area trunky. The city smells like it to. Haha I guess big industry and stuff like that will always be the same. 
Really all to say, oh and BTWs Saarbrücken. We got Elder Ritchie in our group. He's being trained here haha. 
I love yall! My third area is going to be a blast! 
Elder Monroe 

1.Elder Deus and Elder Stark. These guys are amazing. 
2-4.Saying goodbye to a couple of awesome members. It was a stab in the gut when Bohan said he would really miss me and didn't want me to go. Ya gotta hold back tears for that one yall. It was a good seven months. 
5. The Bonn University. 







 








No comments:

Post a Comment